A kids’ pastor in a church ministry typically works with children from infancy through 5th or 6th grade. Their primary role is to manage and lead programs that minister to young children and their families through education, activities, and counseling. Some of a kids’ pastor’s duties include preparing weekly sermons, preaching, and conducting worship services. In addition, it’s a kid’s pastor’s responsibility to interpret Scripture for the congregation and provide care and counseling to church members and assist them in crises.
In many cases, children’s pastors help churches grow. This is because if kids don’t like the church or their weekly Sunday school sessions, and if the families don’t feel supported in their efforts to raise their kids with Christ-centered values, they won’t return. Therefore, the role of a children’s pastor involves creating a ministry that encourages and retains families.
To help you find a leader who fulfills all the duties mentioned above, we’ve created two job description templates that help you attract the right kids’ pastor.
Job Description Template #1
Our church seeks a pastor to lead the children’s ministry. Some of the role’s responsibilities include Service on Sundays, midweek programming, and special events. The pastor will be directly reporting to the senior associate pastor at our church.
- Profess your faith in the Lord God and regularly talk with Him and learn about His Word.
- Continually work on your spiritual growth through reading, listening to training resources, taking classes, and attending conferences and seminars.
- Set a Christlike example in words and actions for the children and adults in your care, and personally pursue a maturing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Oversee the children’s ministry at our church, including managing departmental staff, interns, and volunteers.
- Share a profound love of Jesus with the children of our church and community.
- Motivate the children in their commitment and connection to the body of Christ.
- Encourage them to contribute to the mission of Christ and ultimately impact the world.
- Pursue growth for every child and set a goal to see each child actively grow in their faith.
- Develop an engaging Sunday morning program that reaches each child on their level.
- Act as the point person and a partner for communication with parents. Train and encourage adult leadership to lead Sunday morning, and serve as camp and retreat counselor.
- Encourage parents to be involved in the spiritual formation of their kids’ lives.
- Research and decide on the most effective programs to impact the children.
- Develop and oversee the annual children’s ministry budget in a way that effectively utilizes church resources and maximizes ministry opportunities.
- Report to and keep the senior associate pastor informed of staff accomplishments, challenges, and plans at all times.
- Participate in staff meetings and provide up-to-date information about the ministry.
- Maintain excellent relationships and open communication with all staff.
- A natural and gifted leader
- Solid communication skills, especially with children
- Effective team player and recruiter
- Strong organizational skills
- Participate regularly in weekend worship programs.
- Perform baptisms, weddings, funerals, hospital visits, and counseling as necessary.
- Serve in outreach events and within other ministries as needed.
- Undergraduate degree, postgraduate preferred
- 3-5 years experience leading or assistant leading in a large church setting
Job Description #2
We are currently hiring for a children’s pastor that can help our church grow. Above all, we hope to find someone experienced in leading children, who can easily engage with and communicate with young ones and who has a strong love for families. In addition, we seek someone who can attract and retain new kids and families, manage teams of staff and volunteers, and have a mature relationship with the Lord. Sharing your love for Jesus and spreading His Word and the gospel will be the pillars of your work.
- Born again Christian who feels called into ministry by God
- Strong communication skills, especially with children
- Love for children and families
- Solid organizational and leadership skills
- Ability to build and manage staff and volunteer teams
- Oversee all programming and ministry for children from birth – fifth grade, including on Sunday mornings, Wednesday nights, summer programming, special events, and more.
- Research and prepare an engaging curriculum for each program and each age level.
- Create child-friendly environments, activities, and programming for each age group that fosters learning and encourages spiritual growth.
- Recruit, train, schedule, and lead teams of staff and volunteers.
- Perform baptisms, weddings, funerals, hospital visits with follow-ups, as well as care and counseling as necessary.
- Create a strategy for reaching and assimilating new children and families.
- Plan and oversee special events.
Being a kids’ pastor is hard work and requires patience and passion for working with young ones. This job is extremely important to the church as children’s pastors are the spiritual resource for families. Like many positions in the church, this role invests in team leaders that help kids develop and grow their faith in Christ. Not only does a kids’ pastor manage and lead programs for kids, but they also understand the need to develop volunteers and implement safety best practices. Because kids are the church’s future, it is essential to lead with compassion and be steadfast in the pursuit to grow the church to spread the gospel effectively.